Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Wied iz-Zurrieq Tower

Wied iz-Zurrieq Tower in Malta is one of the seven watchtowers built in the period 1637–1640 by the Grand Master Juan de Lascaris-Castellar of the Knights Hospitaller.

Wied iz-Zurrieq Tower

For centuries the coastline of Malta has been dotted with lookout posts or watch towers that were built by the Knights of St. John (Knights Hospitaller, Knights of Malta) during the 17th century. These towers were manned nightly to watch the seaward approaches and to raise the alarm in the event of imminent threat. The positioning of these towers was planned as such so that one could see both neighbouring towers, which acted as an early warning system against invaders. As soon as one tower spotted a suspicious event, a fire signal was started which was picked up by the neighbouring towers, in so doing carrying on the message.
A number of coastal towers were built during the reigns of Grand Master Alof de Wignacourt (1601–1622), Grand Master Paul Lascaris-Castellar (1636–1657) and Grand Master Martin de Redin (1657–1660). The aim was to strengthen Malta’s coastal guarding system.

A Sea From Wied iz-Zurrieq

Under the reign of Grand Master Juan de Lascaris-Castellar, seven towers were built in the period 1637–1640. Lascaris paid for the building of these towers out of his own pocket, such was his dedication to fortifying Malta’s coastal defences. With the exception of St. Agatha’s Tower in Mellieha (built in Wignacourt’s style), the Lascaris towers are smaller than Wignacourt’s and consisted of two storeys, a flat roof and a parapet.

On the Top

Wied iz-Zurrieq Tower is one of the beautiest places of interest in Malta.